Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Vocation/Formation

What does it look like to be a Chaplain?
What does it look like to be Meghan Yates, the Chaplain?

What services do I render?
I think first and foremost, I have rendered the service of progressed self mastery. Though I have made some crucial mistakes in my interpersonal relationships, I have always been true to my inner dialog and done everything in my power to communicate my coordinates to fellow travelers. I am ready to commit my heart of service to the community now after many years of clearing any noise that likely would have interrupted the clarity of care I could have given. I do think that I have served my community, now that I am looking at service through ChIME lenses. I have served as a family chaplain, keeping open and honest dialogs with my family. Making adjustments to my willingness to be intimate with them, and accepting them as they are more and more readily. I have served my friends with consistent encouragement and hope and sight of their greatness and highest well being. I have served as an artist committed to growth as service and encouraging others to see themselves clearly and with acceptance. I have served as a mentor to those younger and newer to their paths.
This last bit causes a bit of blood rushing excitement. This and the Art bit. I see myself in an education system, surrounded by learners steeped in learning. By those who need a mirror, an ear and a kind word. I am gifted with kind words.
I love loving.
I love language and nuance. It is becoming clearer to me that my service is with the young. I am inspired to incorporate creativity into my service, as when I have included it, things move around. I cannot take full credit for most of the performances and songs that have come through me. These stories are mysterious and require faith. They are highly intimate. They reflect my relationship with the Divine.
I do not think service has one face or filter. I think those committed to service are always "on". When your service is not about doing and saying, what is it about?
Last Tuesdays class was on precisely this topic, and I had begun to write this post prior to it. In that class I remembered being a little one and being asked what I wanted to do when I was older, and I said I wanted to hold a bowl atop my head. I wanted to hold space for God. Some women carry fruit I am so Glad to have remembered that! I have wrought myself sick thinking about what I should Do! How I should Say that I am.
Well, enough with being wrought sick. I am ready to step into mine own and with gentility and presence.
Until again.

No comments:

Post a Comment